Question: Is granola even granola if it is not 90% clusters?
Answer: No. Granola without clusters is simply cereal. Duh.
One of the sole reasons I don’t like buying granola from the store is because they often lack that crunch factor that I can never get enough of. With the exception of Purely Elizabeth, I always find myself disappointed with all of the store-bought granola wannabes. Either get your cluster game on point, or go home!
And by go home I mean go to your house and make this recipe.
As you probably could have guessed from looking my instagram feed, I have an extreme obsession with sweet potatoes. It has gotten to the point where I crave them mulitiple times a day. So I thought to myself, if I am going to eat a lot of them, I better have a plethora of ways to prepare these delicious tubers. Thus, sweet potato pie granola was born.
Filled with chia seeds, quinoa, molasses, and sweet potato purée, this recipe delivers essential vitamins and minerals while still making you feel like you are eating a decadent treat! Did you know that blackstrap molasses (the organic real stuff that is), provides 20% of your daily iron needs in just one tablespoon? Now thats what I call a superfood!
Now get granola-ing. Hey now, hey now, these clusters are what dreams are made of.
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- ½ chopped raw almonds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- purée of one small sweet potato
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- zest and juice of one small orange
- Recommended Mix-ins:
- White chocolate chips
- caramel bits
- dried cherries/cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400F. Pierce sweet potato and cook in the oven for about an hour or until tender. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP! Microwaved sweet potatoes will just not do in this recipe. It is worth the
waitthough, I promise 🙂 Once the potato is done, knock down the oven to 325F.
- While the potato is baking, combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Once potato is cooked, remove skin and mash the insides. Combine sweet potato purée and the rest of the wet ingredients in a medium pot and stir over medium heat until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture over top of the dry ingredients and mix. On a
silpator parchment lined cookie sheet, pour mixture in an even layer over top. Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes. **For crunchy granola only rotate the pan once halfway through and wait until the granola has completely cooled before you break it into chunks. Do not mess with it while it is still hot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container (such as a large mason jar) for up to a week. These make great holiday gifts!
Now tell me….
- Please tell me you got the Lizzie Mcguire reference…
- Have you ever made homemade granola?
- What is your biggest food craving?