Lately my cravings have consisted of gelato and a good ol’ PB&J sandwich.
This recipe was an attempt to satisfy one of those cravings, but don’t worry, I’m working on the gelato too. The ice cream maker in the basement is no longer collecting dust and is instead sitting on my dining room table. All I need is a recipe, so please, if you have a good one, leave me a link in the comments
At least right now I have these bars to tide me over until I start to experiment with my ice cream machine. This recipe is perfect for an on-the-go breakfast, snack, or dessert served with a glass of almond milk. Made with whole grains, natural peanut butter, and just enough coconut sugar to sweeten, these bars are the perfect healthy treat to satisfy your PB&J cravings. Please tell me I’m not the only one who craves this elementary school lunch combo!
These blondies are also the perfect vehicle for experimentation. If your not a peanut butter lover, try almond, cashew, or hazelnut butter. Not a blueberry jam fan? Substitute strawberry jam, apricot preserves or even chocolate sauce. I won’t judge. They may transform from their original PB&J state but that’s A-Okay! Be your own chef and try these different variations out.
- ¾ cup natural peanut butter
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 6 tbsp water or almond milk
- ¼ cup blueberry jam mixed with 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, add peanut butter, coconut sugar, vanilla, and yogurt. Beat using a hand held beater until a smooth batter forms.
- In another bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix. Slowly beat the flour mixture into the peanut butter batter.
- The batter will be very crumbly, so add water 1 tbsp at a time until a slightly wet batter is formed. Press batter into an 8x8 inch square pan that is lined with parchment paper.
- Spread jam and water mixture over top of the blondies. Place in the oven for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the blondies are completely cooled, cut into squares and enjoy!