Did I already scare you away?
Tofu gets a bad rep in the culinary world for being bland, spongy, and quite boring. My goal for today’s post is to leave you with a whole new outlook on this versatile ingredient, perhaps to the point where you go out to your neighborhood Kroger and buy out the whole shelf. Too far?
I first experimented with tofu using this recipe from my favorite blogging chickpea, Alexis. Let me tell you, if you have ever had any doubts about tofu, try this recipe. If I was not told what this recipe was made of, I would have assumed it was traditional ricotta! Hummusapien is a real trickster when in comes to sneaking in hidden nutrition. Alexis also recently posted a recipe for tofu chili which is on my veryyyy long list of dishes to make. This recipe went straight to the top of the priority list, and I am hoping to make it this weekend. I’ll keep you posted.
I knew that I couldn’t top Alexis’ savory tofu skills so I incorporated tofu into a decadent dessert. Stay with me on this one. My dad, who is my toughest and most valuable food critic, requested for me to make this again. Now that is saying something! He is often times skeptic of my healthy recipes, but nevertheless always willing to try a bite. I was expecting the worst as he gave the pudding a try, but to my suprise, he loved it. Somebody write this down in the record books: My dad likes tofu!
- 1 package (12.3 oz) Mori-Nu Silken Lite Firm Tofu
- 3.5 oz of your favorite dark chocolate
- 2 pitted medjool dates
- 2 tsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- ½ tsp liquid stevia (or 2 more dates)
- banana slices
- cacao nibs
- chopped nuts
- Melt your chocolate using your preferred method. I recommend using a double boiler. For details on how to do this, watch this video.
- Place the melted chocolate and the rest of the ingredients into a food processor.
- Pulse for about a minute or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Now tell me:
- What are your thoughts on tofu?
- Who is your biggest recipe critic?