Can you tell I have an obsession with blondies/bars? I swear 1/3 of the recipes I have posted on my blog have been blondies/bars and the other two thirds have been desserts. This girl loves her sweets. But these blondies are different. And in the best way possible.
These blondies are flourless, low sugar, and packed with vegetables. That’s right. Vegetables. I’m still not fully on board with the whole put beans in your brownies and chickpeas in your cookie dough notion, but I am in full support of sneaking veggies into dessert when you can’t taste them one bit! You can add several cups of sugar to black bean brownies, and I will still turn my nose up at the sight of them, but shred three zucchinis and mix them into a cinnamon-y batter and I’m there.
In fact, the shredded zucchini and carrots in these bars give the dessert an airy, soft texture that is irresistible. They aren’t as light as cake, but they are not dense like your typical blondies. The name I finally settled on was “Granola Crumb Cake Squares,” but this dessert deserves a title of its own. Perhaps “pillow bars”? Or “I dare you to just eat one” dessert squares?
The icing on the cake in this recipe is the granola topping. To keep with the grain-free theme, I used Blissful Eats paleo Apple Cinnamon Granola to give these bars that special crunch that I just adore in dessert. You really can’t have any good dish without a contrast in texture. This granola adds crunch and an extra sweetness that is to die for. If your sweet tooth is especially out of control or you just want to treat yo self, you can also top these bars with a glaze. Just add two tablespoons of powdered sugar and a tsp of milk and you’ve got yourself the perfect drizzle to makes these squares extra insta worthy.
- ½ cup shredded zucchini, measured after liquid has been squeezed out
- ½ cup shredded carrots, measured after liquid has been squeezed out
- ¾ cup cashew butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup Blissful Eats Apple Cinnamon Granola
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine shredded vegetables, cashew butter, vanilla, and egg and stir until smooth. Add in coconut sugar and baking soda and mix well.
- Pour batter into a greased and parchment lined loaf pan and top with granola.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing into 8 squares.
- If you want to top your crumb cake squares off with an icing, just mix two tbsp of powdered sugar with 1 tsp of milk and drizzle on top.