My first ever taste experience with rhubarb was at my grandparents house about eight years ago. Those were the days when guacamole was disgusting and chicken fingers were just about the only thing I ordered when we went out to eat. Oh how things have changed.
I don’t remember the exact details, but I remember being challenged to try a bite of my grandma’s strawberry rhubarb pie for 10 dollars. Being the money-loving child that I was (and still am), I took the bet. I grimaced at the giant bite that was handed to me and gulped it down within two seconds, reminding myself of the reward at stake. I absolutely hated it. I already hated pie, and at that moment I was sure that I hated rhubarb too. I vowed to never eat it again.
Fast forward to two weeks ago when I bought rhubarb from the farmer’s market and vowed to make and enjoy a dish made with rhubarb. As Bieber says, “never say never.” I went straight to the baking cabinet and grabbed all of the confection essentials, preheated the oven, and off I went.
The result was this Strawberry Rhubarb Skillet Cake that completely changed my perspective of rhubarb. I cannot believe that before this cake, I would turn up my nose at the sight of the vegetable, remembering my first taste eight years ago. They say your taste buds change slightly every seven years, and I know that mine have done a complete 180. I could not be more grateful for that!
This is the perfect summer dessert to impress your friends and family. It looks super fancy and gourmet, but in reality it is a simple dish made with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. In this recipe I used madagascar vanilla flavored 4th and Heart ghee, which is FABULOUS, but if you don’t have that handy, butter or coconut oil will do the trick.
Bon apétit mes amis!
- 3 tbsp Madagascar Vanilla ghee
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup coconut sugar, with 3 tbsp of this measurement set aside
- 3 tbsp plain green yogurt
- 2 stalks rhubarb, diced
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, almond milk, and all but 3 tbsp of the sugar. Slowly combine the wet ingredients into the dry.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the strawberries, rhubarb, vanilla, and 3 tbsp of sugar on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- In a large, 12 inch cast iron skillet, melt the ghee and swirl around in the pan to completely grease it. Let this mixture heat up for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix the strawberry mixture into the batter and pour into the greased skillet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top has browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Slice and serve with vanilla greek yogurt or ice cream.